mybosnia.net

Experience Green Land

Bridges

Stari Most (The Old Bridge)

Stari Most over Neretva in Mostar is UNESCO’s World Heritage Site, which, when built, was the largest arched structure in the world. It was built in 1566., by Suleiman the Magnificent, and the builder was Mimar Hajrudin. The bridge firmly stood for 427 years until it was destroyed during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1993. It was restored after the war and reopened for public on 23 July, 2004.


Cuprija (Bridge) in Konjic

Cuprija on Neretva in Konjic is one of the most beautiful bridges from the Turkish period, together with Mostar's Stari Most, Cuprija (Bridge) on Drina in Visegrad and Arslanagica Most (Bridge) in Trebinje. Unfortunately, only Cuprija on Neretva in Konjic was not renewed. The extraordinary cultural and historical monument which, as such found a place on the list of cultural and historical heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina of national importance, waits for its renewal.


The Bridge in Visegrad

The bridge was built between 1571. and 1577. on the place where the road connected Bosnia and Constantinople over Drina River (known as "Constantinople Dzada (Road)"). Construction of the bridge was entrusted to the most famous Turkish architect, Koca Mimar Sinan, court architect and the supreme builder of the empire, one of the greatest architects of the world. It’s endowment of Mehmed Pasa (Pasha) Sokolovic, the grand vizier of three sultans (1565. - 1579.) - Suleiman the Magnificent, Selim II and Murad III.
It is known that this bridge was repaired around 1664., then in 1875., 1911., 1939., and 1940. During the withdrawal of the Austrians from Visegrad in 1914., one pane was shattered, and the following year, Serbian army destroyed another one during their leaving from Visegrad. Such a condition of the bridge was retained until 1939., when it was brought into proper condition. From 1915. to 1939., the iron construction was placed over the demolished part of the bridge, across which the traffic flowed. During the withdrawal of the Germans in October 1943., that part was destroyed too.


Arslanagica Most (Bridge)

According to archive documents, the bridge over river Trebisnjica, the only at that time, was built in the second half of the sixteenth century, from 1573 to 1574 as the endowment of the Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasa (Pasha) Sokolovic. At the end of the seventeenth century, it was named Arslanagica Most. Its importance was enormous because it was on the only road connection of Bosna to Novi, where they went to trade salt. In 1687., Novi was taken by the Venetians and as the Turks retreated, wealthy and prominent Muslims were given land in Trebinje region. One of them was called Arslan-aga and he got the bridge to administer and collect tax.

Arslan-aga built himself a house near the bridge and the bridge and the village was called after him. By building a road to Dubrovnik economic importance of the bridge fell through, so it represented no longer a source of benefit. First more severe damage on the bridge occurred 1944., when they fought for the liberation of Trebinje. While retreating in a panic, Chetniks mined a left large arch of the bridge to stop the advance of partisans, while the much newer, railroad bridge - packed with explosive that failed to set off remained intact. The bridge experienced following "wounding" in 1965., when was submerged due to the construction of the hydropower system and self-will of communist local leaders (the Serbs)
At the initiative of the Institute for the Protection of Monuments in 1966., the bridge has been removed from the water, and its huge stones was lying on Goricko Polje for a few years, exposed to theft of newly arrived residents who incorporated the stones in the foundations of their houses without second though. Finally in 1972., the bridge was again put up in upright position. It was built within two years at the location between the village of Gradina and Police, and again it continued to serve people, remaining as a cultural monument and a silent witness of a bygone era.

 


Kozija Cuprija (Bridge)

The bridge was built in the 16th century. The inscription which is located near the bridge gives credit to Mehmed Pasa (Pasha) Sokolovic.
Yet, according to local legend, the bridge was built by a shepherd named Mohammed. One day he and his brother Sinan, while tending goats near Jarcedol found a treasure in a cave. They divided it in half, and from that money Mohammed made a bridge, while Sinan built a mosque at Bistrik, which people called Kecedzija (Kec is a Turkish word for goat). Wheter this story was true or not, the bridge was at an important trade route for Sandzak, Macedonia and Istanbul, and was often used until the 19th century.


The Roman Bridge

The Roman Bridge over River Bosna at Ilidza was built in the first half of the 16th century by Ottoman architects using the stone from the ruins of a Roman settlement Aquae Sulphurae. The bridge was rebuilt in the second half of the 16th century.
It is possible that the bridge was built on earlier Roman foundations, and therefore it is said it connects space and time and is one of the most important features of Ilidza. Also, there are countless archaeological sites near Butmir which produced the best described Neolithic culture in Europe.

 

About us

Our mission is to be one of the leading destination management companies in Bosnia and Herzegovina  with strong commitment to the international travelers to deliver the best of the quality services.
 
Find us on Facebook
Follow Us