mybosnia.net

Experience Green Land

Mosques

Ferhadija in Banja Luka

Ferhat-Pasa’s (Pasha’s) or better known as Ferhadija Mosque was the central building in Banja Luka. Built in 1579. in the classical Ottoman style, it was one of the most successful architectural works of Bosnian architecture of the 16th century. Its architect is unknown but it is known that he was a student of the Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan. Construction of the mosque was funded by Bosnian Sanjak beg (bey) Ferhat Pasa Sokolovic.

In the complex of Ferhadija there were also located: three burial chalbers, of Ferhat-Pasa, his grandchild Safikaduna and his standard bearers, iron and stone wall with a fountain on the corner, and fountain and an old cemetery in the garden. Later, the complex is complemented with a clock tower built near Ferhadija. The mosque was 18 m wide, 14 m long, and the top of the dome was 18 m high. The minaret was 43 m high. Ferhadija was included in the cultural heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1950. and later was included on the list of World Heritage at UNESCO (the highest category of cultural monuments).

 


Karadozbegova Mosque in Mostar

Karadozbegova Mosque is the biggest and one of the most beautiful mosques in Herzegovina. It is located in Mostar, in Fejica Brace street. It was built in 1557-1558, according to the designs of the famous Ottoman architect Sinan. Supervisor and major donor was Mostar’s patron Mehmed beg (bey) Karadoz, brother of legendary Ottoman vizier Rustem Pasa (Pasha) Opukovica. Beside the mosque, Mehmed-beg built madrasa (school), as well as other facilities in Mostar. Karadozbegova Mosque suffered major and severe damage during the double aggression against Mostar and Bosnia and Herzegovina, but during the restoration of Stari Most (the Old Bridge) and the old city core of Mostar from 2002. to 2004. was rebuilt and opened in July,  2004.


Adilbegova Mosque in Sarajevo

For decades at the site of the present mosque was a masjid, or mosque without a minaret, until 1989., when the new mosque was built, which stood out by particularly beautiful and unique minaret. Today's mosque is very similar to the mosque of that time, and was made on the same ground. At the beginning of the aggression on Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo came under siege and under the fury of the enemy forces. Kobilja Glava was one of the settlements that have suffered most during the aggression against BiH. The mosque, as a symbol of the settlement and the Bosniak people and their Islamic identity, was a frequent target of attack of Bosnian Serbs. It was hit in several occasions, by dozens of missiles. On September, the 2nd, 1992., Serbs have begun shelling the mosque. The mosque that was already badly damaged before that day, became a ruin. The minaret withstood 18 direct hits that day, but after the nineteenth hit it collapsed.
Prayers were carried out during the war in houses and makeshift masjids. Already at that time, plans of reconstruction of destroyed mosque were made.
After the war, the restoration work began. At the site of pre-war imam’s house in the mosque courtyard, they made a masjid, which was used until the opening of the new mosque.
At the same time they removed the remains of the demolished mosque and began preparatory work for the building of new mosque. This time, the larger and more beautiful one.
Mosque were partly financed by their own faithful congregation, and some of the humanitarian organizations from the Islamic world, but the largest donor and benefactor was Adil Beg (Bey) Zulfikarpasic. Now, the mosque is named after him. The mosque was opened on 6 June, 1999.


Alipasina Mosque in Sarajevo

Alipasina Mosque is located in Sarajevo. It was built in the 1561. The mosque was built by Hadim Ali pasa (pasha) of Budim’s begler-beg (bey) in 1560/1561 in time when he governed Bosnian pasaluk. The mosque was built in classical style of Istanbul. Ali pasa, who was born in Sarajevsko Polje, wrote in his will that the mosque was to be built beside his tomb by the resources of his endowment. He died in the 1557., and within four years, this building was built.
Alipasina Mosque along with harem in Sarajevo was declared a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2005. The mosque is illuminated in 2008. as part of the lighting of buildings in Sarajevo.

 


Begova Mosque in Sarajevo

Gazi Husrev-Begova (Bey’s) Mosque or just Begova Mosque in Sarajevo is due to its dimension and attractiveness one of the most significant monuments of Islamic sacred architecture in the Balkans. Built in 1530., the mosque is an endowment of Gazi Husrev-Beg, the ruler of the Bosnian Sandzak. It was designed by Ajem Esir Ali from Tibris, one of Istanbul's greatest architects and built by the masters from Dubrovnik. The mosque is square in shape with the central dome diameter of 13 m and height of 16 m with many small domes and semi-domes. The interior of the mosque emanates singular artistic atmosphere. There is a fountain beside the mosque, whose water is used for ritual washing before prayers. The present shape with the dome dates from 1893. Since 1530., a well was found in the same place. In the shade of the mosque and centuries-old limes are two burial chambers in which Gazi Husrev-beg and his prisoner, and later friend, Dalmatian Murad Beg Tardic were buried in 1541. Not far from the mosque is clock tower and madrasa (school). In the 16th century, when built, Begova Mosque represented an object of great importance for urban development of Sarajevo and is one of the most significant objects from the rich legacy of Gazi Husrev-beg. This is the first mosque in the world to obtain electrical lighting 1898.

 


Ferhadija in Sarajevo

Ferhadija Mosque is a mosque in Sarajevo. It was built by Ferhat Beg (Bey) Vukovic-Desisalic, the Bosnian Sandzak-beg. It was damaged during the war 1992/95.
It is located in the center of Sarajevo along the main Sarajevo’s promenade, just below the Gazi Husrev’s beg bezistan and taslihan. This is the newest domed mosque in Sarajevo. Ferhat Beg built maktab (school), fountain and imaret (public kitchen) within his mosque. These buildings were destroyed in fire in 1697. Mekteb was renewed by Mehmed-beg Dzenetic, but that building burned down in 1879. as well. Famous Sarajevo’s cronicler Baseskija was a muallim (teacher) in this maktab for a while. Of all Ferhad-beg’s facilities only mosque and the small cemetery around survived to date.


Sarena [Atik] Mosque in Tuzla

Name of Atik, this mosque won because it is probably the oldest mosque in Tuzla, and name of Behram-beg it won by the fact that Behram-beg's madrasa (school) was located across from it, and probably this benefactor ordered its’ restoration and maintenance. It is also due to its decorated interior called Sarena Mosque. Mosque is built on a small hill, its size is 10x10 m and it dominates the surroundings. Before the fire in 1871. it was built of unbaked brick, and with wooden dome. Dome was made of solid material after the rebuilding in 1888., but it was quickly replaced with tile roof. There are ten windows made of crossed iron bars on the ground floor. Interior of the mosque is decorated with various patterns. Minbar was made in Arabic style. The minaret is composed of several parts. From the bottom to the top wall, the mosque is square shaped, with a narrow roof on three sides. The mosque and the haram (courtyard) are secured by the stone retaining wall.

About us

Our mission is to be one of the leading destination management companies in Bosnia and Herzegovina  with strong commitment to the international travelers to deliver the best of the quality services.
 
Find us on Facebook
Follow Us